Sinking, a story told by the ocean

Sunday 21 February 2016

Hello everyone, I hope you are doing well.

Today, I would like to review the story of "Sinking" of which I had the pleasure to read and later interview the author.

We've heard so many stories above the ocean, the tales of pirates sailing the seas, in search of a lost treasures laced with curses, chanting, dancing with the ladies and living the life of a rebel.
But this goes beneath the surface of the ocean, deep down underwater, swimming between the beautiful multicolored plants and species.


"Sinking" has been a delight to read and a great distraction after having quite some busy days at work.
The title triggered my attention as it can have multiple meanings.



It is the story of a young lady, later named Jocelyn, who was found washed out from the sea, with only a scar on her arm and a medallion ( which was discreetly taken from her without her notice ) linking her to her memory on the shore in the 18th century of Ireland.

She finds shelter in the arms of Lady Edith, who raises her as her own daughter.
The days go on, and I began to discover that her past seemed to be lost in the abyss of the sea.
It kept calling her back, claiming her but the fear of her last drowning memory  kept crawling back, blocking her from making that extra move. Her only clue is voice, calling her "Mli".

During her journey, she becomes acquainted with Aidan Boyd, captain of a ship owned by the baron Sir Thomas Corwin, Lady Edith's cousin. Her longing for answers to her questions and her memory grow stronger each day as the ocean's voice echoes in her ears.
Each character has a realistic personality, with their qualities and bad habits. Sometimes I felt empathy for them and in other situations a bit of disappointment for their actions but most of the time, the majority was good.

I had my idea regarding Jocelyn's identity, but what mattered the most to me was how was it going to end.
The mystery slowly unravels with little details without spoiling us with the truth entirely.

Jocelyn will be torn between two roads, the memories of her past and the moments she live with the people she met. Time is of the essence and she must choose a road. The more I red, the more I had a feeling that Jocelyn was getting entangled with her feelings and each revelation of her past. I understood that her freedom would not be possible without sacrifices.

The reading is smooth, and I liked  that the author tried to write according to the Irish accent so we could have a better idea as to how some characters sound when they speak.
The only confusion I met during reading was the dialogue where I sometimes didn't know who was speaking.
Nevertheless, I've learned some new interesting words

The novel ended up with a terrible cliffhanger that got me eager to read the rest. My eyes went wide when I red "the end" and my mind was rolling over the floor demanding an answer.

Thankfully, Sinking is the first book of a trilogy by Sarah Armstrong-Garner. I saw the book cover only after I finished reading it, and it's quite similar to how I would drew it to summarize the first part of this story.
If I could choose an actress for a movie version, my first choice would go to Rachel Hurd-Wood as Jocelyn.


"Sinking" will have an online launch on facebook on the 25th of february. You may join the release by following this link https://www.facebook.com/events/1393423927630986/

I hope you will enjoy the interesting story of Sinking just as much as I did.

See you soon and stay tuned for an interview with the writer !

9 Replies so far - Join the conversation

  1. Hey I read this book too!! It's such a lovely book I'm glad to hear that you liked it, too ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Great to hear that you red it too. I kept reading it for hours, wishing sometimes I didn't have time to work to discover everything haha! It's a great story and perfect when we're looking for a moment to relax

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! You can still be part of the launch. What kind of books do you enjoy reading? :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're very welcome Sarah, thumbs up to you for the launch and the upcoming books of the trilogy :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. THank you Hayley. Do you like these types of story or do you have another preferred genre? :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! Definitely going to grab it next. Thank you. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Let's have a friendly chat about the subject or any review is welcome!
Thank you for your time and enjoy reading the rest ;) Smile!